Oh how frustrating! This post was fully written and set to auto publish, and then reverted to the first draft on publishing. Lets try again.
With most pattern companies making patterns for a B cup, many sewers have to do a full bust adjustment (FBA). It’s pretty
daunting for the novice sewer, as the idea of making any adjustments are terrifying, especially if you haven’t mastered a zip yet. The Colette patterns sorbetto is a fantastic pattern to practice this on as it’s a simple cut, pretty quick to sew up and it’s a separate top. The first bust adjustment I attempted was on a dress. The front turned out to fit like a dream, but the back was…wrong. Just wrong. I’m not even sure how that happened.
To make the fit right, two muslins were made and then the final Sorbetto was in the blue silk. It had a lovely printed design on it so the pieces were fussy cut to have the print running along the hem front and back. Which by the way turned out a treat.
The first muslin as you can see on the right had the gaping arm hole and the shape of a tent as I cut a size 10 based on my bust measurement. The second muslin eliminated the gaping arm hole and was a size 6. It was still fairly loose, but the pattern itself is a loose fitting top and a decent amount of ease is part of the style.
Happy with the second muslin I cut out and made the silk final (two muslins and the final was about 3 hours sewing all in which is pretty good). Turns out fussy cutting the print in was the worst thing that could have been done as it ruins the drape of the top at the bottom. Not to mention I never wear this style of top, and if I do, it’s worn like below tucked in with a belt. Where you can’t even see the print. Yet another reason why I’m making a 2012 sewing plan and learning to sew again. Time to examine the wardrobe and make quality well fitting garments that are my style.