A sewing challenge for all sewists, using the same fabric, to create out own outfits? Challenge accepted tessuti. Challenge accepted. (see here if you want to know more of about the challenge, and here to see some entries).
The fabric didn’t feel anything like I first expected, and it had more stretch and drape and was warmer to boot.
As this was intended to be an ‘experimental’ project for me, I wanted to try a new style, a new pattern company and heck, let’s try some new measurements while we’re at it right? I’d read about the kind of creepy yet awesome site www.upcloud.com which takes your measurements via your webcam. This is free and AWESOME. nice to get some validation that my self measuring isn’t too off. I’d like to think I’m self-confident enough to not fib about my measurements, but who doesn’t give themselves a centimetre of two of leave?
So earlier when I said I might fib about my measurements? Here’s the interesting thing. When completing the measurements for the Lekala website for my pattern, I didn’t believe the waist measurement that Upcloud had given me. So I added an extra 4cm. For cupcakes and the like. 4 extra centimetres is a HUGE differential.
And as such, when I made up my muslin the waist was too big. By 4 centimetres. GAAAAH. And so much trimming and adjusting was done. Next time, I’ll trust the pattern.
The skirt is 7 pieces, 4 for the peplum and 5 for the bodice. It still came together pretty quickly, even after adding another 11 pieces for the full lining I added. The lining was a light cotton batiste I thought, but after an incident with an overly hot iron I can confirm that it is in fact some unnatural fibre (clearly pulled the wrong fabric from the stash), but I’m happy with it. Using a bright white was important as the lining was going to help make the cream sections “pop” more.
The fabric was so thick that the seams should have all been graded, however the included seam allowances on Lekala patterns is a scant .5cm which left insufficient for grading. All the neckline and armholes are prickstitched down to keep the lining from peeking out. The hem was catchstitched by hand for an invisible finish.
It would have fit beautifully from the first go if I had put my measurements in right. *sigh* The only other alteration was to reshape the skirt and make it more of a pencil skirt and taper in a little towards the hem.
Prick-stitching, catch-stitching, and really I should have tried a waist-stay to help support the weight of the peplum. The only grosgrain ribbon on hand however was covered in my little pony pictures. Honestly, the problems I have.
I will use Lekala patterns again, their styles are a weird mix of Cue style dresses (an edgy Australian brand), gypsy blouses and wedding dresses. The fact is though, I didn’t have to do a FBA and it fit perfectly through the shoulders. I’m intrigued to try more. They are PDFs, but that work ok for me for the slim pattern pieces are easy to assemble and fold.
All and all, I love this dress. And it’s pretty good for playing peekaboo in! Make sure you go and check out the other entries on Pinterest, it’s such good inspiration!