Why hello Lekala 4261! This coral blouse was actually a less fussy version of Lekala 4261, a wearable muslin if you will.
Hard to tell as I’ve made it too small for the intended recipient. It’s becoming a recurring theme here! I’m going to make various people at social sewing try it on I think to see what the problem was. I think it could be my use of 7 french seams, it could be the way I eased the french seams. Maybe it was a typo when I entered it into Lekala. In some way, it’s going to be my stupid brain.
This top (and the binding) was made out of 1 metre of a silk cotton blend from Darn Cheap Fabrics. It is BEAUTIFUL to sew. In fact, although I promised myself to not buy any more fabric I’m in love with silk cotton. It’s tempting to make lots of silk cotton underwear out of it as it’s just so luxurious and also well priced. This was $13.95 AUD per metre, which is very reasonable.
I’m really pleased with the way this blouse turned out, even though it doesn’t fit the intended recipient. That’s ok, maybe it will eventually fit me, or there will always be someone skinnier at social sewing that may benefit from my sewing sizing mishaps!
The seams are all french seams (except the side seam with the inserted zipper), with handmade matching bias tape using this method. While it does give you more seams than cutting long strips and then joining them, it’s easier to cut the bias tape after laying out your pattern if you leave a decent sized square. It does take me a few moments of thinking to cut it out right, but if you take your time it turns out beautifully.
I usually don’t use invisible zips (as I find them finicky and liable to break), but it was the best option for this blouse.
*ahem* it would be wise to check the seam allowances BEFORE doing french seams. The seam allowances (if you add them) on Lekala patterns are 1 cm (1/2″) , and I did french seams with something wider than that, and with 7 seams shaping the blouse…it slowly shrank.