Over the christmas break I went a little MIA from both the internet and my sewing room. Finishing up at work on the 21st, I was at home until the 14th of January, so that should have been heaps of time to sew. Right?
After loving the Kirsten Kimono Tee, I joined forces with the tweeters to pester Maria Denmark to release the Day to Night top after seeing a sneak preview on twitter.
In the week around Christmas, I greedily used every nap time and bed time to cut out all the glorious things I would sew. And the Maria Denmark day to night top was one of them. With a little bit of this cotton/rayon blend jersey left, I wondered if I could eek out another Kirsten kimono blouse AND the day to night top. (The correct answer is yes, and I possibly could have cut out four tops if initially I had cut responsibly).
I spent AGES laying the pattern pieces out to get the four pattern pieces to fit, and then to fold the fabric on the grain. Right, so picture my fabric folded up all neatly, with all my pattern pieces sitting perfectly on their respective folds on the floor. I get halfway through cutting out, literally half way through one piece and the baby wakes up. I duly attend to her needs, and pop her with Daddy so I could just spend 5 minutes to finish cutting out. AND CAT-TASTROPHE. This MONSTER has decided to play and roll about on my fabric.
Anyway, to cut a very long story short, the cat survived, I rescued my fabric and it probably ended up a smidge off grain. The initial story was how I had the week of cutting out fabric, remember? My sewing got hijacked by two weeks of DIY.
Tragically, sunflower yellow walls, burgundy trim and green cupboards that were the lovely stylings of our home were not quite our taste. Variations of white on white on white? Yesssss please. In honour of my long arduous hours of sanding, paint stripping, priming and painting (which are still to be completed, there is a whole lot of gloss paint destined for those skirting boards, and doors to be hung), my newly completed day to night top has been photographed in the newly painted hallway and study.
Very comfortable. This top is drafted without any seam allowances, (and I forgot to add them) and it fit beautifully, so for my personal preference for this top, this seems to be the right way to remove a tiny bit of design ease. I am thinking I need to start doing sway back adjustments on my tops, there always is that pooling sitting there. It’s an easy adjustment to ignore, as most the time I can’t see it.
The cowl drapes nicely, but can dip a little low at times. Then again maybe I’m just getting more conservative. Or, maybe I didn’t read the instructions right and missed something. I won’t rule that out. Ever.
Bend safe check
This is the same fabric that I used for my Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono tee (what a mouthful!), blogged about here, managing two kimono tees AND a day to night top out of this. Not bad for 2.1 metres and a grand total of $8.10. Jealous much?
The construction of this blouse is quite straight forward, with side seams serged, the back neckline finished with elastic and the hems/arms done with a twin needle. The twin needling needs a bit of a press in this photo. The really neat thing about this pattern is how the cowl is folded and sewn into the shoulder seam. It’s a nice detail and finishes the top well.
This top needs a fabric that won’t relax so much during the day as the cowl got a little more daring as the day progressed. By 5pm at work, if the cowl dipped at the right angle it showed a little bra. Just a little hint. Which doesn’t bother me at work but a little more at playgroup. All said, I’m really tempted to try and combine this top with the tiramisu waistband and skirt, a kind of take on SewbusyLizzy’s sewing dare, which is the day to night top as a dress!